BRIEFING – Monza
26 Laps , 150.54 km
40.5+ Liters suggested. Always check with your own driving
1.52 Liters per lap
Monza, we all know it. Passing is easy and safe, but if you take risks, dive bomb or refuse to give up even if beaten, the race becomes a crash feast.
- No active overtakes until after the first chicane, magenta in the map above.
- If you get a slow down, you must serve it off-line without hindering others.
- The first lap can be very slippery and braking very sketchy. Let’s try to be careful, plenty of passing opportunities in the rest of the race.
- No driving to the right of the white line on the start/finish straight. This shall be penalized post-race (5 seconds for each time you go there). Do not go there to attack, defend or trying to break a draft.
This is illegal:
Reason: the track narrows after the pits; if you are to the right of the white line you will end up on the grass and cause troubles rejoining it.
There is plenty of space on the proper track without needing to go there.
Trivia: it was one of the factors leading to the crash that killed Ronnie Peterson; video below.
- Do not worry about 1x off-tracks.
- Passing at the 2nd chicane (Roggia) is allowed in lap 1; however, let us play it safe over there, too. It is difficult to find space for two cars side by side there.
A little touch is enough to get a car sideways in there, with the entire field plunging into it.
Please remember that causing an accident in lap 1 may be heavily penalized.
- Passing attempts at Lesmo and Ascari are very strongly discouraged in lap 1. Attempting to pass there is futile for the entire race.
- Avoid dive bombing. Please remember that you will arrive into a braking zone faster when in a draft, so you probably need to brake earlier.
There will be cars with different wings and different braking points. Just be aware of this and don’t run into anyone.
- Remember that you do not have to defend every single corner. Letting somebody past on one lap and passing it back on the next is often better than trying to go side by side into the chicanes or Lesmo.
- Be careful of the concertina effect into the slow corners.
Avoid speed differentials. Do not try to be faster or slower than the cars around you;
keep a constant gap to the car in front;
avoid sudden and abrupt movements. No lane changes, no hard braking;
brake early and gently. Early and hard is bad, just like braking late.
Penalties and Safety Points
Post race incident reports and penalties (hopefully none) are communicated in discord.
You can read philosophy and details in this page.
The Last race incident report is at this discord link, only visible to registered members.
Just scroll down to the latest message in the discord channel.
Have a look also at the #race-school-videos section, if you mind.
- Take it easy at race start.
The goal is to get going safely and get in line. You must not attempt to gain places.
Do not try to get a great start on the lights, it is unnecessary risky
- No lane change at the start, at least until the first corner and longer if necessary.
Stay in your lane and try to maintain a constant distance from the car in front. No sudden braking, do not drive faster than the cars ahead of you.
If by doing so you pass cars in the other lane, perhaps because they had a slow start, it is fine. However, you must not attempt to outbrake others or take advantage of the situation to gain places
Always go for the safest action. If a car in front of you has a very slow start it is ok to pass it.
- Be careful about the concertina effect braking for slow corners in the early race.
Try to be as smooth as possible, with gradual braking and no sudden changes, but expect to have to slow down a lot, especially later in the field.
- No 3-wide attacking for the entire lap 1
- No blocking
- No dive bombing
- If you get a black flag slow down, you must serve it off-line without hindering other cars.
- Please remember that driving off track voluntarily (1x) is strictly prohibited.
You can receive a time penalty post-race for having too many off-tracks (undisclosed number). There is also an automatic slow down in race if you have too many incident points. However, we do not aim to penalize errors. Just play it fair and all will be fine.
- Respect blue flags – which means helping the leaders through, but do not expect lapped cars to immediately pull over
- No unsafe rejoins
- Stay on the racing surface
- No team games, such as giving each other a draft in qualify. Not everyone has a team, let’s make it fair for all.
- No chat in qualify and race, it is welcome in practice sessions
More details in the League Rules page
Every race is broadcast live on youtube by Apex TV
Donations are unfortunately needed to cover the cost.
Details on how to donate in our discord and website, thank you for your help !
Every Sunday we get together in discord to watch the race broadcast, starting at midnight Europe, 6pm US East Coast. Join us if you have the time.
Every race of the season in the playlist:
2022 R03 – Monza